Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why all the Guilt?

Guilt, its such a useless emotion but why, as a parent is it always lurking around? It sneaks up on you at almost every occasion. I never realised how much guilt a mother feels, like all the time.

I feel guilty if Im not with the babies all the time. I feel guilty if I want to take a nap, eat something, go to the shops or just have a rest from the babies. We have a wonderful nanny who is at the babies beck and call all day long. They just need to utter one sound and she is with them but I feel guilty because I should be the one there all the time but I just dont have the energy. I know how bad does that sound. Our nanny leaves at 4pm and then I look after them by myself until hubby gets home round 5pm and let me tell you that 1 hour feels like 10. As soon as 1 baby is settled the next one starts or like yesterday 2 of them were screaming and I was jumping between them trying to settle them again.

Fat Cheeks has now started some strange behaviour, every night after her 6pm feed she screams non-stop for an hour. NOTHING you do helps her. Ive tried a hot bean bag, medicine, rocking her, giving her a tag.let, toy, tummy time, giving her water, more milk etc. Any advice on that one would be appreciated.

The source of my greatest guilt at the moment is the decision to stop expressing for them. Ive done it for 9 weeks and I would have done it for longer but when we saw the paed last week for their check-up she said that anything less than half their feeds in breastmilk is considered a waste of time. For me half the feeds are 3 x 3 feeds = 9 bottles which is more than a litre of milk! I would say my milk production is about average and I probably could get up to that 1l a day but then I would be expressing every 3 hours on the dot and I just dont have time for that. As it is I am battling 3 times a day. Right now they get 1 feed a day that is BM, maybe Ill have enough for 1.5 feeds, topped up with formula but I have found that their colic symptoms are worse if I mix formula/BM.

I also want to stop for selfish reasons (theres that guilt again), I would like to eat food (and maybe have a glass of much needed wine) again without worrying that everything Im eating is going to give them cramps or gas, as it is now if one of them vomits their BM feed then I worry about what I ate (guilt again). I would like get up in the morning and not have to rush for my pump because Im in such alot of pain or go out without having to worry about pumping during that time. The worst symptom I have is when they cry my poor bo.obs feel like they are about to burst and I leak all over, I can hardly stop dealing with them to go and pump. I cant just give one of them the bo.ob because they all eat at the same time and then that whole schedule is out and Ill end up feeding all day long. The worst part is that I have the milk, a fair amount so stopping is so much more of a difficult/guilty decision which is why I would have been happy to continue but then the paed said its really not worth my while and now all my will to continue pumping is just gone. Am I a bad mother to want to stop? Do you think 1 feed a day is a waste?

Ive been off the eg.ly.nol now for a day trying to decrease the supply but its an anti-depressant aswell so now I feel a bit all over the place and wonder if I should just carry on but then I go back to what Ive just discussed above. I cant start on another AD until my milk supply has stopped or else I cant give them that milk and there just isnt any way I can throw pumped BM away.

Another source of guilt was the night nanny situation. We had a night nanny for about 3 weeks but when they used to wake up I used to lie in bed feeling the most horrible guilt ever. When she told us she no longer wanted the job, I was actually happy as I felt like I was missing out on time with them. Yes, of course I am tired getting up to them but then dont thousands of other people get up to their babies every night? They are actually very good at that feed because they are hungry and sleepy so the feed goes really fast. Im normally back in bed in 1 hour, hubby helps but goes back to bed as the first one finishes so he can at least function at work the next day. Its working for us for the moment albeit we do get tired. At least one source of guilt is now gone...

9 comments:

  1. I don't think one feed a day is a waste, but I also don't think there is anything wrong with giving up on the BM. You need to do what works for you. Listen to other people's advice etc, but make up your own mind. My sister said that was her biggest realisation, and the first time she felt like a good mother, when she wasn't trying to fit in with everyone else's ideas of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mash. My paed told me anything was good for them, then again...I believe happy mother, happy babies.

    Guilt is definitely wasted. I used to hand the babies off happily at 8 am and go back to sleep for 3 hours - heaven!

    Oh btw, that is called suicide hour. no matter what you do, they scream. it's horrible and used to give me serious night dread because I knew what I was in for (and D arrives home at 6 - so an hour of screaming).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, do what is right for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have definitely my blessing for switching on to formula. The paed told me the same thing when I was saying how little I was expressing anyway (which is not your case of course, but you have 3 to feed!). Also since I'm fully on formula it's seems the feeding pattern has settled a bit with no feeding at night (last feed at around 11pm, next feed around 7-8am with a bit of stirring starting around 5am).
    On the crying. I read that the most important thing is to stick with whatever you are trying for at least 10 minutes. Be as boring as possible. Have you had a look at the "happiest baby on the block" on youtube? i found it interesting! Glad you have started a new blog my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. That guilt really is a little b1tch that creeps up and smacks you on the back of your head. I blogged about it a little while ago too. The seemingly smallest thing can bring it on. We can be so hard on ourselves.
    I've started to realise that I AM ACtually doing a pretty ok job; and Travers constantly reminds me that wanting a small break from Bella from time to time is not wrong. After all, I can be a better mother to her if I had that the opportunity to regroup, breathe in breathe out and relax a bit.
    I also don't think that 1 feed is a waste!! I did not have the wonderful opportunity to BF Isabella, and this is something that always sits as a 'What If...' in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up BF at 8 weeks. I also felt guilty because my reasons for giving up were very selfish. I hated the leaking boobs. I also wanted my glass of wine. I also wanted to make love to my hubby without a bra on (sorry TMI)...but my Jada did not even blink at the change and we were able to settled into a fixed routine. My milk dried up very quickly.
    I know it is harder said than done...but remember you are best for your babies when you take care of you. I felt guilty about the fact that I was "Dying" to go back to work...
    I used to find music very soothing for Jada..have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean by the guilt.... it seems to lurk around constantly. But you have done brilliantly to manage BFing for this long with 3 babies! And I don't think you should allow yourself to feel guily about stopping. Do what is right for you... Happy Mother = Happy Babies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you have started a new blog as I enjoy the updates on your babies. Can't offer any advice as I am still muddling through same of the same issues with Alex with varying degrees of success. BF is a wonderful experience for me but with one full-term singleton and a mom with Le Leache League experience and a a bit of luck I started off on the right foot. We're currently dealing with a bad reaction to the Prevenar vaccination, have been holding a mostly crying baby for 10 hours now:( Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you started a new blog Dee! I missed you on the other one. It surely sounds hectic to have trips and I take my hat off to you. Please don't feel guilty. I'm sure you are doing the very best possible under the circumstances and much better than a lot of people I know!

    By the way, I awarded you the Stylish Blogger award!

    ReplyDelete